Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Help a Desperate Wall


Here's one of our living room walls.  Yes, I know that brown on brown couldn't be more awful.  We used to have the couch in front of the front windows, so it broke up the monotony... But this set up is best for now.  

I can't do anything about the wall color or couch color at the moment, and can't/don't want to spend much money on wall decor, so here's where you come in! I need help!! :)  After I took this picture, I did put a sage green and blue throw over the couch to help a bit, but I'm not sure how long that will last.  The husband isn't a big fan of throws on the couch.  It's understandable.  The couch is slippery.

I found an adhesive wall Bible verse, but the size I would need was about $60. Ouch.  

My next thought was I could buy a stencil and paint.  Lots of time, but pretty inexpensive.  

So even if I do a stencil, I'll still need something else... And if I don't do the stencil, I need a couple more "somethings" to go along with the framed art I already have up.  

Any relatively cheap ideas??  And yes, I've tried to come up with stuff I already had around (either in other rooms or from the basement), and that was a fail.

What do I do?????

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I stumbled on your blog today, from Ginger's b/c you have the same title I do. Story of Us! :)

    Anyway, I am NO decorator. But if you like the vinyl wall quote idea, check out etsy. I use a company (http://www.etsy.com/shop/VinylLettering) on there and have gotten several large (ie 16x20) quotes for like $15. Just thought I would share that!

    PS I also like what you have done with your baby's room. I like the book page decor you did very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michele! It's a great blog name, dontcha think? :) Thanks for the Etsy link also! I'm gonna head over there right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents have a really cool wall in their basement (they had one at our old house too) that they "bread bagged". instead of using a sponge and sponge painting it, they just used a crumpled up bread bag. You can then either dip it in the paint (giving you a bit of a heavier textured look) or you can use one hand to paint vein-like lines on the wall, bagging over the lines as you go. This is a much finer texture....it would look really great with a slightly lighter shade of brown, though the wall my parents have is dark green with a light tan bagged look. that contrast also looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently ran across a post about a wall remodel where she used a stencil... you'll have to take a look (it's not a 90's stencil that you'd probably immediately think of). Anyway, it's really cute, she did just one wall and she's doing a give away this weekend for a similar stencil. http://www.littlebitfunky.com/2010/10/be-brave-stencil-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete