Friday, September 3, 2010

Kid's Room... Finally

I'm not a great blogger.  I know you know this by my months-on-end hiatuses... My apologies.  Life happens.  But another reason I'm not a great blogger is because I tend to forget to take "before" and "during" pictures.  Did I take any photos of my amazing husband putting hours and hours into the kid's room (I don't like the word nursery. I have no idea why)? Nope.  There's no proof except the wonderful "after" pictures. And I take no credit.  So let's dig in. Because there are plenty of after pictures.  Oh, are there plenty.  

As I go along I'll be letting you know what the cost was, with the grand total at the end.  With many "DIY" projects and wonderful gifts, I think we did pretty great on a slim budget.

{before... long before.  after this picture, it was an exercise room}


{after}
- Rocker/Ottoman: gift
- Crib/Mattress: gift from my aunts
- Laundry basket: already had
- Trunk: wedding gift, moved from the living room
- Throw on rocker: hand-knitted Christmas gift from Chris' sister, Tera
- Baby book: Mother's Day gift from Chris :)
- Giraffe and Turtle: gifts from my aunt, the giraffe is a sound machine and the turtle lights up stars and a couple constellations all over the room

{bedding}

Bumper is two different materials


(excuse the quality of the curtain picture, it was taken with a phone)
- All material and supplies for bedding (quilt, crib sheet, bumper, crib skirt) and energy saving, black-out lined curtains, 4 panels (including grommets and rods): $195

These bears are so very dear to me.  When I was very young, my parents didn't have much (if any) money for Christmas, so my mom made these bears for me, and ducks for my older brother.  I don't care if we have a boy or a girl, these bears will be a permanent staple in all of my baby's rooms.

{to the left is the door to the hallway}
- Changing Table/Dresser: the one I used growing up, re-stained and put a new top on: $20
- Bookcase: garage sale find, repainted with paint we already had: $10
- Lamp: found at TJMaxx, couldn't stop thinking about it, splurged and bought it: $30
- "Frog Story" wall art: $12 (blog about that coming later)
- Mirror & Shelves: already had
- Curtain for closet: $5 
(if you remember, I put up a curtain in our master room also... Our house keeps settling, and until we figure out why, doors are a pain.  Curtains are also cheap and easy (no heavy duty tools or big time commitment needed. It's convenient at this time in our life)




- Basket for miscellaneous baby things: TJMaxx find: $7 (I think I'll paint it cream)

Shelf deco are things I already had and a few things my mom picked up at an antique store.
Love the deer, thanks Mom!
- Moon/Heart deco was in my baby room.  Made by a dear friend, Dana Ferrell.
- CD/Radio: already had.
Duck and books thanks to Mom

This wall looks bare, but only until baby gets here.  I painted frames and bought colorful scrapbook paper and will cut baby's name out and frame each letter and hang it above the crib.  Yes, I'll post a picture later :)
If it's a girl, I'll use the ribbon to hang the frames.  
My husband thinks the ribbon is too girly if it's a boy.  *Pshh*
- Frames and Paint: already had
- Scrapbook paper: $2.25

- Bucket: already had, spray painted with paint we already had
- Blankets: gifts, and one that was my baby blanket
- Snoop Dog: a Christmas gift that I never got around to giving, and decided it fit perfect in my kid's room.  I probably shouldn't have admitted that, huh?

{closet before}
{after}
After trying to peel 27 layers of wallpaper off, I decided it would be easiest [for my husband] to just paint over it.  Chris put a coat of Kilz on first, which worked like a charm.  The wallpaper was stuck so good, there were no problems with it bubbling.  Then he appeased his loving wife and painted the bottom half yellow and the top half blue (both of which we already had, they're actually the colors in our 2 bathrooms).  I think the two colors work great with the green walls of the room.  Conveniently, we only had to by the paint for the walls. So a couple gallons of paint and a gallon of primer was about $65.

So there it is my friends.  Final cost - $346.25

3 comments:

  1. This grandma loves to just sit and look at the great job you did on the room! I can hardly wait for Baby to occupy it! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute for a boy or a girl!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete