Wednesday, April 11, 2012

If you've forgotten...

who I am... My name is Ginny. I'm the not-so great keeper of this blog.
Several times in the last few months I've thought "I need to blog this!".  I even got the super-easy Blogger app with every intention of posting a quick picture every now and then.  But when I do think about posting something, my sweet 18 month old takes a 7-minute-long afternoon nap, or she's making art in the dirt piles on the floor and I decide I should probably vacuum instead of blog.
~

In my married adult life, I had come to terms that we will probably always have hand me down or Goodwill chest of drawers, and I'm okay with that!  Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of "matchy-matchy", so I don't really ever see myself buying a "bedroom set"...  I like unique and antique pieces of furniture that go together but not match [thanks Mom!] :)

While perusing Craigslist one day, I saw a solid wood king size headboard for, what? $30?? Surely it doesn't look as good as the picture.  I had to at least look at it!  So the husband, kid, and I went to check it out, and sure enough, it actually looked better in person! When does that ever happen?  I asked the guy if he would take any less, and he said he's take $20. SOLD!  Even if it doesn't turn out quite the way I had pictured in my head, I could eat twenty bucks.

I decided to paint it off-white (already had the paint) and initially thought I would distress it a bit since I wasn't counting on it looking really great after paint.  Well, after a good sanding and a couple coats of paint, I was pleasantly surprised how it came out! What do you think abuot my $20 headboard? :)  I love it!

{the actual picture from craigslist}

 {the 'before' in my garage; already looking better!}

{paint is truly a miraculous thing}


{finished!}

My "after" picture does leave something to be desired (how about some throw pillows that don't stick out like a sore thumb), but finally having something for pillows to lean up against (besides the wall or the window) is a huge improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment