Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Poppy Seed Muffins

I apologize that most of my posts lately have been about food... I also apologize for the pictures taken with my quality (ha!) point and shoot digital camera.  Maybe when we win the lottery I'll treat myself to a professional camera.  But until then, please accept these pictures that don't do justice to anything.

Be forewarned.  This recipe is sure to make your skirt fly up.  So moist and fantastic.  I recently got this recipe from my mom and made them for a shower.  And upon tasting them, it brought me crazy-happy feelings.  Yes. This is Mom's poppy seed bread.

I know I've said before how in love I am with old/well used recipe cards, and this one is just the epitome of said thing.  My mom's recipe. On a card more familiar than the back of my hand.  Stained with who-knows-what. The oil? The milk? Some batter that dripped down the side of the bowl? But so beautifully "stained" with my mother's handwriting.  Is it odd that I find my Mom's handwriting a comfort zone?

Here's hoping my bowl is big enough!

Okay, we're good. That was a close one.

The muffins I made for the shower were mini muffins. 

You can tell towards the end - as the batter wasn't disappearing as fast as I wanted it to - I made a few regular size muffins, then went straight to my jumbo pan.  I never said I was a patient person.

Just a heads up... These muffins are in no way, shape, or form healthy. 

Packed with oil, sugar, and eggs, they are to be enjoyed fully knowing - and not caring - how many minutes it's gonna be on the treadmill later. Thank you.


One last thing.  Mom got this recipe from an old church friend. So, wherever you are Linda Brunson, thank you for sharing your recipe with my mom, who shared it with me, who will most definitely pass it to my girls.

Poppy Seed Bread/Muffins

1 1/2 c. oil
2 c. milk
4 eggs
2 t. each: vanilla, butter, and almond extract
3 c. sugar
2 T. poppy seeds
4 c. flour
2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder

Combine all ingredients.  Bake in 2 large greased and floured bread pans at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
[For muffins, time will be reduced.  Mini muffins took about 12 minutes, larger muffins about 20]
To test for doneness, stick toothpick in the middle of a muffin. If it comes out clean, they're done.

4 comments:

  1. Love "used" recipe cards- thinking of framing some of them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE EVIL!!! ;) Do you have any idea how badly I've been craving BAKED GOODS lately??!? Muffins in particular. And these...well...these just look AMAZING. I love love love lemony baked goods. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my face. :)

    (And for the record, I think your pictures are always very nice!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL---I choose to follow your blog the day you post this...and I am on a strict Diet..HAHA. I too love old recipe cards. I was very lucky to get my grandmas recipe box and it's "contents" when she updated everything. This yellow recipe box I will cherish forever. I know when ever I need to make a good dessert I can open up this box and pull out any yellowish stained card and start baking and be absolutely thrilled! I will be taking note of your recipe today and adding it too my box. Just because I am on a diet does not mean I can't "treat" myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete