Friday, June 4, 2010

American Toast

Rewind to Monday morning.  I had all of the ingredients to make French Toast, but just couldn't bring myself to make "French Toast"on Memorial Day.  It was so wrong in my mind.  I could just see it...  Some guy named Brutus comes to my door, takes away my right-to-be-American card, and hauls me off to some unknown country where they have Belgian waffles on Cinco de Mayo.  Mojitos on St Patrick's Day. Spaghetti on Thanksgiving!??

I couldn't bear the thought.

So in order to ease my mind and prevent an internal conniption, I decided to make American Toast.  It's American because I added cinnamon to the egg wash.  Please don't ask about my reasoning.  Because there is none.

So here's the cast of characters:


Whisk the flour and milk.  I would have taken an action shot, but my third hand was busy at the time.

Add the cinnamon to make it American toast. Don't forget the cinnamon. As small as this ingredient is in the big picture of the recipe, the hint of cinnamon really sets it apart.

Soak the bread (I had sourdough on hand)

Grill the bread until a bit crispy (or to your liking)

Strawberries for freshness... and to make up for the fake-sugar high of the next picture

I've learned quite a handful of things these last four years of marriage.  One of which is how extremely different people eat the same food.  My husband puts ranch on his baked potato instead of sour cream. Odd.  He eats his French American Toast with syrup. How weird is that? Powdered sugar is the only way we ate it growing up.

Here's the specs.

American Toast

2 T. flour
1/2 c. milk
1/2 pinch salt
2 eggs
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 t. white sugar
6-8 slices bread

Whisk flour and milk in a 10 in pie pan (or any shallow dish that allows you to dredge your bread).
Mix in the salt, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar until smooth.
Heat a griddle or lightly greased frying pan over medium heat.
Soak bread in mixture.
Cook each side until golden brown.
Serve immediately.

1 comment: