Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Confessions of a Kitchen Failure

This isn't going to be a how-to blog about the latest thing that was on my dinner plate.

Because to be honest, it was frozen pizza.

I would have taken some great pictures of my dinner last night, but my dinner was not great. 

We have been very thankful through the last couple of years to get free deer meat from my grandparents.  I think free meat is one of the biggest blessings, since it's always the most expensive thing on my grocery list.  We have accumulated ground deer meat, (awesome in chili), and some deer minute steaks from them... 

The minute steaks make me nervous.  I have no idea what to do with them.  My grandpa swears that if you just salt and pepper them and pan fry them, they're next to heaven.  So a while ago I dredged them in a flour, salt, and pepper mixture, then pan fried it.  Ick.  Failure #1.

Come last night.  I  figure everyone has "off" days in the kitchen, no matter what you make. So I pulled up my big girl britches and decided to give it another try.  This time, we tried them with Lawry's Seasoned Salt.  {I'm convinced that Lawry's makes anything taste good. If you don't have any in your pantry, get some}. And we put them on our inside grill.  Failure #2.  No amount of barbecue sauce was helping either.  We tried.

I've come to the conclusion it's not the way I'm making them.  It's the meat.  It's the only logical answer.  To confirm this, I text my mom {her and my dad got real burned out on deer meat early on... my grandpa seems to think that he needs to get a whole deer. every. single. year.} and it went a little something like this:

me: "So this is the second time I've tried the deer minute steaks, and second failure. I think I'm gonna give up.  I know there are starving kids around the world, and I wish I could send them my deer minute steaks, 'cause I'm done"

mom: "Believe me. I understand."

So they will stay in the (very back of the) freezer for now.  Chris and I had a discussion on whether we would rather starve or eat deer minute steaks.  We decided they would probably be handy if push comes to shove.

Then I put a pizza in the oven and life went on.

3 comments:

  1. so I just had a thought...you said your grandpa insists on getting a whole dear every single year. does he buy these deer? or does he hunt them himself? If he hunts them himself, how in the world could he not get a whole deer? I'd love to hear his technique if he's figured out how to shoot only half a deer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. he buys them from someone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad would hunt so we basically get the ground venison and the summer sausage- best stuff in the world and low fat! Good try though on the steaks :)

    ReplyDelete